Saturday 9 March 2013

Under the Never Sky - Veronica Rossi

Titel: Under the Never Sky
Author: Veronica Rossi
Series: Under the Never Sky #1
Publisher: Atom
Pages: 374
Publication Date: February 7, 2012

Source: Bought







WORLDS KEPT THEM APART. DESTINY BROUGHT THEM TOGETHER.

Aria has lived her whole life in the protected dome of Reverie. Her entire world confined to its spaces, she's never thought to dream of what lies beyond its doors. So when her mother goes missing, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland long enough to find her are slim.
Then Aria meets an outsider named Perry. He's searching for someone too. He's also wild - a savage - but might be her best hope at staying alive.

If they can survive, they are each other's best hope for finding answers.


***


I'm not sure why Under the Never Sky remained unread on my shelf for such a long time - it may have something to do with the fact that I really dislike the cover and my eager to read the book stops every time I see it. I don't know. Anyhow, I finally got to it and I'm so glad I did - it's awesome (and really, you can't even see the cover when the book is open anyway).

The POV changes between Aria and Perry and it works quite well. I got to know their feelings and thought and to be honest I probably wouldn't have liked either of them, if I hadn't gotten to know them that well. They both act like idiots at times. I liked Aria almost immediately. She's brave, stubborn, sensitive and very confused. She changes a bit throughout the book, but the real changes lies with Perry. It took me quite some time to like him and I never cared for him the same way I did Aria. He's very interesting, but I just don't get his need to become Blood Leader and it's never really explained. It just seem annoying and weird to me.
I adored both Roar and Cinder - so great and so different. Roar is bold, funny and he's a perfect counterpart to the moody Perry. Cinder is so different and exiting and I wanted to learn more about him.

I loved the whole dystopian world, I was introduced to. It's really cool and Veronica Rosse has done a great job at making this world so real. The story both has dystopian and sci-fi elements - the technology is very important to Aria, who lives in a world almost without reality and Perry, who leaves completely without technology in a place where reality often gets to close. They are so different and yet they have to make things work between them during their journey.
""Fine," she said, and frowned. Monosyllabicism. An Outsider disease, and she'd been infected." (s. 137) 
I love how the relationship between Aria and Perry develops very slowly and even though we all pretty much knows how it will end between them, their journey with and toward each other is very exciting. I mean, they start out like enemies og have to learn to trust each other. It's a long struggle, but I liked it. No rush, just how it would have happened in real life.

The writing is lovely and drew me right in between the pages (my very favorite place to be). I have to read the next one in this series. Now, please!

No comments:

Post a Comment